The Donjoy Adjustable OA Defiance Knee Brace is a custom-made unloader designed for patients and athletes alike suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee. This model is manufactured from a cast mold that we supply to all our customers which is both easy to use and provides an accurate replica of the shape and contours of any size leg. Donjoy's custom OA Defiance knee brace is constructed with three degrees of varus/valgus angle correction built into the frame, and comes with a telescoping condyle pad (pictured above with the key) that is used to impart an additional three degrees of patient-controlled correction. The product is easy to fit and provides patients with the ability to turn up the unloading effect on days when the knee is feeling lousy, and turn down the unloading effect on days when the knee is experiencing little to no discomfort. The brace can be ordered with a variety of accessories, as described below, to improve its fit and effectiveness. The Defiance OA is a mere 18oz providing a nearly unnoticeable feeling for all-day comfort and has received the Arthritis Foundation's commendation for ease of use making it a truly superb brace for treating mild to severe osteoarthritis.
Donjoy Adjustable OA Defiance Custom Knee Brace Features:
- Custom made according to the patient's casting measurement.
- 1-7 degrees of correction built into the lightweight carbon fiber frame. We build it automatically with 3 degrees unless specified by the patient/physician.
- Adjustable, telescoping condyle pad can add an additional, 3 degrees with the use of the enclosed key (picture above).
- Comes with floam condyle pads for increased comfort (they mold like mini bean bags around the condyle for better comfort).
- Suede frame liners and strap pads provide enhanced comfort around the thigh and lower leg.
- We have the frame built with 3 degrees of a varus or valgus correction built into the frame unless instructed otherwise by the patient/physician. Three degrees is considered comfortable, tolerable, and effective in unloading most patients with mild to severe unicompartmental OA. An additional 3 degrees can be acquired through the telescoping condyle pad for a total of 6 degrees.
- Universal OA Key enables patient-controlled load adjustments during daily needs.
- Anti-migration band around the lower leg prevents brace migration.
- Knee flexion and extension control is built into the hinge design.
- Lifetime warranty on frame and hinge; 6-month warranty on softgoods.
- Lightweight! Weighs approximately 18 oz.
- Brace bag included.
- This is a non-returnable, non refundable product due to the custom manufacturing process for this product.
Brace Size Considerations: Each Defiance OA is custom made according to the patient's cast mold. These braces are designed to fit individuals with a minimum thigh circumference of 12 1/2" (32.8cm) up to the maximum thigh circumference of 38 1/8" (96.75cm), and minimum calf circumference of 10 1/4" (26cm), up to the maximum calf circumference 26 1/4" (66.50 cm). You should take a quick thigh and calf circumference measurement 6 inches above and below the middle of the kneecap to make sure you fall within this specified range before making this purchase so that you will know if this product will fit or not.
STEP ONE: Print out the pdf OA brace form (related file section) and fill out. Select the length for your brace.
- Standard - For people 5'10" and taller. Will clear ski boots and motocross boots. The brace is a total of 16 inches in length.
- Standard Thigh/Short Calf - 5'6 1/2" to 5'9" needing ski boot/motocross boot clearance. The frame for the thigh is 8 1/2 inches long and the calf is 7 1/2 inches in length.
- Short Thigh/Short Calf - For anyone 5'6" and shorter. The frame for the thigh is 7 1/2 inches long and the calf is 6 1/2 inches in length.
STEP TWO: Choose the type of liner/padding for your brace.
- Suede - Comfortable; shipped standard with every brace unless specified. Most popular.
- Chamois - becomes tacky against the skin when wet from perspiration. Improves the ability of the brace to stay in place. Second most popular.
- Pneumatic Chamois - Pre-inflated chamois liner for tacky quality with extra padding. Third most popular choice.
STEP THREE: Choose the style of condyle pads that go next to the sides of the knee for your brace.
- Floam: Standard; Part air/part bean bag - conforms to the bony contours of the sides of your knee and retains that memory each time you put the brace on; very comfortable.
- Air - The condyle pads of filled with air to provide an air filled pad to disperse stress a little better; does not conform as much as the floam style pad though.
STEP FOUR: Choose the style of your brace (strap configuration).
- ACL - Strapping configuration is pictured above in all of the example pictures. Has an open area across the top front of the thigh also.
- PCL - Strapping configuration specifically addresses a PCL injury or reconstruction.
- CI (Combined Instability) - Includes an additional thigh strap across the front of the thigh for added support; can be used for additional ACL protection as well. This is the most commonly ordered model because it has an extra strap across the front of the thigh to aid in keeping the brace in place on your leg.
STEP FIVE: Choose the color for your Defiance OA (View PDF Brochure Below).
- 23 Flat/Metalic Colors - FREE (see related file pdf for complete color selection)
- Custom Graphics - $150.00
STEP SIX: Choose the right size casting sleeve to make a mold of your knee. Measure the circumference around the thigh 6" above the middle of your kneecap and choose the correct size sleeve to be sent to you. Price above includes complimentary ground shipping of the casting sleeve to the customer via ground shipping along with free ground shipping of the finished brace from Donjoy to the customer. The customer is responsible for the shipping charges associated with sending the finished mold of the knee to DME-Direct.com for manufacturing of the brace. Please contact us for additional cost for Rush delivery of the sleeve/brace.
STEP SEVEN: Choose additional brace accessories:
- Sports Cover (11-0016-x-06000) - Fits all braces made in the standard length.
- Short Sports Cover (11-0103-x-06000) - Fits all short calf and short thigh with short calf models.
- Cotton/Lycra Undersleeve (11-0075-x-00000) - Full length, light and breathable. Proper size is automatically generated from the cast mold of the knee.
- Neoprene Undersleeve (11-0122-x-00000) - Full length, warmer for colder climates. Proper size is automatically generated from the cast mold of the knee.
- TruPull Advanced Attachemnt (11-1525-x) - Rubber patella stabilizing attachment for patients with patello-femoral conditions; product is easily removable. Proper size automatically generated from the cast mold of the knee.
- Impact Guard - Protects the patella and the front of the shin from direct impact (motocross application).
- Calf Pinch Guard - prevents the bottom of the brace from running into the top of a ski or motocross boot. Provides a sloping smooth transition up to the bottom of the boot - recommended when ordering a "short calf" brace length.
- SiliGrip Pads - FREE - These These strap pads grip onto the thigh and lower leg. They are tacky and are preferred by elderly individuals who have significant muscle atrophy and brace slippage issues that need to be addressed.
- Neoprene Suspension Kit - Two neoprene straps that are used to wrap around the thigh and calf portion of the brace circumferentially to help maintain the brace in the proper position - about 3 inches wide.
Recommended Manufacturer HCPC: L1858, L2755, L2820, L2830.