The Donjoy Adjustable OA Defiance Knee Brace is a custom-made unloader designed for patients and athletes alike suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee. This model is manufactured from a cast mold that we supply to all our customers which is both easy to use and provides an accurate replica of the shape and contours of any size leg. Donjoy's custom OA Defiance knee brace is constructed with three degrees of varus/valgus angle correction built into the frame, and comes with a telescoping condyle pad (pictured above with the key) that is used to impart an additional three degrees of patient-controlled correction. The product is easy to fit and provides patients with the ability to turn up the unloading effect on days when the knee is feeling lousy, and turn down the unloading effect on days when the knee is experiencing little to no discomfort. The brace can be ordered with a variety of accessories, as described below, to improve its fit and effectiveness. The Defiance OA is a mere 18oz providing a nearly unnoticeable feeling for all-day comfort and has received the Arthritis Foundation's commendation for ease of use making it a truly superb brace for treating mild to severe osteoarthritis.
Donjoy Adjustable OA Defiance CUstom Knee Brace Features:
- Custom made according to the patient's casting measurement.
- 1-7 degrees of correction built into the lightweight carbon fiber frame. We build it automatically with 3 degrees unless specified by the patient/physician.
- Adjustable, telescoping condyle pad can add an additional, 3 degrees with the use of the enclosed key (picture above).
- Comes with floam condyle pads for increased comfort (they mold like mini bean bags around the condyle for better comfort).
- Suede frame liners and strap pads provide enhanced comfort around the thigh and lower leg.
- We have the frame built with 3 degrees of a varus or valgus correction built into the frame unless instructed otherwise by the patient/physician. Three degrees is considered comfortable, tolerable, and effective in unloading most patients with mild to severe unicompartmental OA. An additional 3 degrees can be acquired through the telescoping condyle pad for a total of 6 degrees.
- Universal OA Key enables patient-controlled load adjustments during daily needs.
- Anti-migration band around the lower leg prevents brace migration.
- Knee flexion and extension control is built into the hinge design.
- Lifetime warranty on frame and hinge; 6-month warranty on softgoods.
- Lightweight! Weighs approximately 18 oz.
- Brace bag included.
- This is a non-returnable, non refundable product due to the custom manufacturing process for this product.
How Do I Get Measured For A Defiance OA brace: We send what is called a "casting ki" to our customers along with simple to follow instructions (and pictures) on how to make a simple cast mold of their leg in a weight bearing position. The mold is then sent directly to DME-Direct for inspection. After inspecting the mold, we send it onto Donjoy. The brace is then manufactured according to the shape of the cast for a custom fit (usually takes 24-48 hours). An optional "Rush" production option is available for those who need their Defiance OA sooner - $125. This includes overnighting the casting kit to your address and rush manufacturing for a 34 hour turnaround. Ground delivery of the finished brace is free - optional expedited delivery of the finished brace is an additional charge.
Brace Size Considerations: Each Defiance OA is custom made according to the patient's cast mold. These braces are designed to fit individuals with a minimum thigh circumference of 12 1/2" (32.8cm) up to the maximum thigh circumference of 38 1/8" (96.75cm), and minimum calf circumference of 10 1/4" (26cm), up to the maximum calf circumference 26 1/4" (66.50 cm). You should take a quick thigh and calf circumference measurement 6 inches above and below the middle of the kneecap to make sure you fall within this specified range before making this purchase so that you will know if this product will fit or not.
STEP ONE: Print out the pdf OA brace form (related file section) and fill out. Select the length for your brace.
- Standard - For people 5'10" and taller. Will clear ski boots and motocross boots. The brace is a total of 16 inches in length.
- Standard Thigh/Short Calf - 5'6 1/2" to 5'9" needing ski boot/motocross boot clearance. The frame for the thigh is 8 1/2 inches long and the calf is 7 1/2 inches in length.
- Short Thigh/Short Calf - For anyone 5'6" and shorter. The frame for the thigh is 7 1/2 inches long and the calf is 6 1/2 inches in length.
STEP TWO: Choose the type of liner/padding for your brace.
- Suede - Comfortable; shipped standard with every brace unless specified. Most popular.
- Chamois - becomes tacky against the skin when wet from perspiration. Improves the ability of the brace to stay in place. Second most popular.
- Pneumatic Chamois - Pre-inflated chamois liner for tacky quality with extra padding. Third most popular choice.
STEP THREE: Choose the style of condyle pads that go next to the sides of the knee for your brace.
- Floam: Standard; Part air/part bean bag - conforms to the bony contours of the sides of your knee and retains that memory each time you put the brace on; very comfortable.
- Air - The condyle pads of filled with air to provide an air filled pad to disperse stress a little better; does not conform as much as the floam style pad though.
STEP FOUR: Choose the style of your brace (strap configuration).
- ACL - Strapping configuration is pictured above in all of the example pictures. Has an open area across the top front of the thigh also.
- PCL - Strapping configuration specifically addresses a PCL injury or reconstruction.
- CI (Combined Instability) - Includes an additional thigh strap across the front of the thigh for added support; can be used for additional ACL protection as well. This is the most commonly ordered model because it has an extra strap across the front of the thigh to aid in keeping the brace in place on your leg.
STEP FIVE: Choose the color for your Defiance OA (View PDF Brochure Below).
- 23 Flat/Metalic Colors - FREE (see related file pdf for complete color selection)
- Custom Graphics - $150.00
STEP SIX: Choose the right size casting sleeve to make a mold of your knee. Measure the circumference around the thigh 6" above the middle of your kneecap and choose the correct size sleeve to be sent to you. Price above includes complimentary ground shipping of the casting sleeve to the customer via ground shipping along with free ground shipping of the finished brace from Donjoy to the customer. The customer is responsible for the shipping charges associated with sending the finished mold of the knee to DME-Direct.com for manufacturing of the brace. Please contact us for additional cost for Rush delivery of the sleeve/brace.
STEP SEVEN: Choose additional brace accessories:
- Sports Cover (11-0016-x-06000) - Fits all braces made in the standard length.
- Short Sports Cover (11-0103-x-06000) - Fits all short calf and short thigh with short calf models.
- Cotton/Lycra Undersleeve (11-0075-x-00000) - Full length, light and breathable. Proper size is automatically generated from the cast mold of the knee.
- Neoprene Undersleeve (11-0122-x-00000) - Full length, warmer for colder climates. Proper size is automatically generated from the cast mold of the knee.
- TruPull Advanced Attachemnt (11-1525-x) - Rubber patella stabilizing attachment for patients with patello-femoral conditions; product is easily removable. Proper size automatically generated from the cast mold of the knee.
- Impact Guard - Protects the patella and the front of the shin from direct impact (motocross application).
- Calf Pinch Guard - prevents the bottom of the brace from running into the top of a ski or motocross boot. Provides a sloping smooth transition up to the bottom of the boot - recommended when ordering a "short calf" brace length.
- SiliGrip Pads - FREE - These These strap pads grip onto the thigh and lower leg. They are tacky and are preferred by elderly individuals who have significant muscle atrophy and brace slippage issues that need to be addressed.
- Neoprene Suspension Kit - Two neoprene straps that are used to wrap around the thigh and calf portion of the brace circumferentially to help maintain the brace in the proper position - about 3 inches wide.
Recommended Manufacturer HCPC: L1858, L2755, L2820, L2830.
- Moderate to severe unicompartmental osteoarthritis.
- Moderate to severe ligament instabilities. ACL, PCL, or Combined Instability (CI) strap configurations.
- Post operative rehabilitation.
- Sizing chart
Custom-made using measurements obtained from using Donjoy's CCMI measurement tool or using our proprietary casting kit.
- FOLLOWING ARE OPTIONS:
- Medial or Lateral compartment off-loading.
- Swooping Thigh cuff for inner thigh clearance and bilateral brace use.
- Swiveling Strap Tabs to accommodate leg movement.
- ACL, PCL, or Combined Instability (CI) strap configurations.
- Square velcro strap ends.
- Neoprene suspension straps.
- Sili Grip strap pads.
- Chamois frame liners and strap pads.
- Pneumatic frame liners and strap pads.
- High strength stainless steel gears.
- Reinforced carbon composite frame.
- Over 40 custom frame colors and graphics.
- Standard or short length frame.
- Very pleased
- Adjustable OA Defiance Custom Knee Brace
- Fits & performs well but is very costly
- Very satisfied with my brace
Q&A for Donjoy Adjustable OA Defiance Custom Knee Brace
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
DME-Direct is a Donjoy Authorized Dealer Site
Donjoy believes that the best way for you to select and purchase a Donjoy product is at one of its authorized online stores of which DME-Direct is one. Only in these stores can you be sure to find the latest Donjoy collection and ensure you are getting a genuine Donjoy product with the manufacturer's full warranty.
Donjoy therefore recommends that you do not purchase a Donjoy item through any website, unless it is an authorized Donjoy dealer.
We are a Donjoy Authorized Dealer and can assure you a safe and pleasant shopping experience here at our website as if you were at our wholesale distribution premises in Valencia, California.
Some non-authorized sites sell counterfeit, second-hand merchandise, and/or products containing old fabrics, glues, and resins that do not perform as intended, and are therefore, not eligible for care under the Donjoy warranty. Others do not offer the original Donjoy warranty, nor do they offer any after-sales service of any kind.
Donjoy takes great care to ensure that all Donjoy authorized dealers offer you the very best products and service. Please take advantage of the peace of mind that only they can offer to Donjoy purchasers.