Extreme sports. Water sports. Contact and non-contact sports, the Donjoy Defiance III Custom Knee Brace is DonJoy's flagship custom knee ligament brace designed tom provide a custom fit for athletes. Defiance III incorporates swivel strap tabs plus a medial swooping thigh; a diagonal bend on the inside of the thigh section provides clearance for the other leg or for an object such as a gas tank, horse or another brace.. The lightweight Defiance III is suited for contact sports such as football, skiing on the slopes, the basketball court, and today's extreme sports. The low-profile design fits comfortably underneath sports uniforms and clothing for comfort and performance.
With a Donjoy Defiance III knee brace, you cannot shorten the length of the thigh portion of the frame. It is always made with a "standard" length. What does that mean? The thigh frame length is 7 inches long from the middle of your knee up along the inner side (medial) of your thigh, and 8 inches long on the outer (lateral) side of your thigh. So, individuals who are 5'3" and shorter will automatically have a regular Defiance made for them whereby DJO Global can shorten the thigh portion accordingly to address their shorter height.
Donjoy Defiance III Custom Knee Brace Features:
- Custom-made according to measurements taken of your leg using our CCMI Mark III tool. Click Defiance III Order Form pdf and fill it out to customize your brace.
- Clinically-proven 4-Points-of-Leverage System™.
- Swooping thigh cuff design for inner thigh clearance and bilateral brace use.
- Strong, lightweight 18 ounce carbon composite frame.
- Two lower leg lengths available: standard or short - determined automatically according to your cast mold. Note: A regular Defiance thigh style without the swoop is manufactured for patients 5'3" and shorter in order to shorten, ie customize the thigh length needed for your brace.
- PCL (4 straps), ACL (5 straps), and CI (combined ligament injury/instability - 6 straps) configurations available.
- Backed by DonJoy's Knee Guarantee Program™ (see link below).
- Supra Condyle Suspension Pad helps reduce brace slippage (picture included above).
- Defiance III Extra version available - includes reinforced carbon composite frame and slide shield. We encourage football lineman to choose this stronger version from our brace form pdf.
- Suede or Chamois liners and condyle pads available.
- Anti-migration strap helps control slippage.
- Non corrosive parts for salt water use.
- Over 40 custom frame colors and graphics (optional upgrade) choices; See Defiance III Color Choices pdf.
- Lifetime warranty on frame and hinges; 6 month warranty on straps.
- Non-returnable merchandise due to the custom fabricated brace manufacturing.
How To Order Your Donjoy Defiance III Custom Knee Brace:
Activate the pull-down menu's to specify right or left leg, the version requested (ACL, PCL, CI), whether you want upgraded gears or graphics (explained below in detail under Step One through Eight), and then select either Standard or Rush manufacturing. (RUSH manufacturing is recommended if you are very tight on time. After you receive the Mark III tool we'll take the measurements of your leg and send your brace order into Donjoy. Your brace order is will be completed in 24-48 hours at Donjoy and then shipped overnight back to you from the factory). If you choose Standard manufacturing, the finished brace will be sent to you using ground shipping Standard production time is 24-72 hours depending on the sports season.
Brace Size Considerations:
Each brace is custom made according to your individual measureemnts. These braces are designed to fit individuals with a minimum thigh circumference of 12 1/2" (32.8cm) up to the maximum thigh circumference of 38 1/8" (96.75cm), and minimum calf circumference of 10 1/4" (26cm), up to the maximum calf circumference 26 1/4" (66.50 cm). You should take a quick thigh and calf circumference measurement 6 inches above and below the middle of the kneecap to make sure you fall within this specified range before making this purchase.
STEP ONE: Download the Defiance III Brace Form and follow along. Choose your Defiance III model:
- Defiance III Extra - Features a reinforced carbon composite frame around the hinge area; assembled with a standard hinge with slide shield unless another hinge type is selected.
STEP TWO: Select the hinge type for your brace:
- Standard Slide Shield - a standard hinge with a slide shield protective cover. See image photo above.
- Standard Low Profile - the same standard hinge in a smaller, more low profile "box" which is more flush with the hinge bars than the regular standard slide shield hinge. More popular.
- Fource Point - a new hinge design that slows down the acceleration of the knee during the last 25 degrees. See image photo above.
- Low Profile "Low Pro" FourcePoint - Same function as the regular FourcePoint in a smaller, more low profile hinge "box." More popular. See image photo above.
STEP THREE: Choose the type of liners and condyle pads (oval pads at the joint on either side of your knee) for your brace.
- Chamois - becomes tacky against the skin when wet from perspiration. Improves the ability of the brace to stay in place. The best choice for individuals with skin sensitivities. Most popular.
- Suede (aka Doeskin -black) - standard padding/liner. Second most popular.
- Note: Pneumatic condyle pads (you can inflate/deflate them), Air condyle pads (preinflated)- smooth not tacky like the Chamois, and Floam condyle pads (similar to silly puddy - filled with bean bag chair like filler) can be ordered at no extra charge. They will be added in place of the chamois or suede condyle pads chosen from above - Chamois or Suede liner choice from above will remain intact, ie the brace's thigh and lower leg brace frame liners will still be either Chamois or Suede.
STEP Four: Choose your strap configurations.
- PCL - Strapping specifically addresses a PCL injury or reconstruction - configured with 4 straps.
- ACL - Strapping addresses ACL instability pre and post surgery - configured with 5 straps.
- CI (Combined Instability) - Includes an additional thigh strap across the front of the thigh for added support (main picture - white model); Can be used for additional ACL protection, for added brace slippage prevention, and/or combined ACL injuries (example: ACL + MCL/LCL) - configured with 6 straps.
STEP FIVE: Choose the color for your Donjoy Defiance (View Defiance III Color Choices pdf above for selection).
- 23 Choices: 11 Flat and 12 Metallic Colors - FREE
- Custom Graphics - $150.00
STEP SIX: Price above includes complimentary ground shipping of our casting kit sent out via ground shipping along with free ground shipping of the finished brace from Donjoy to the customer. The customer is responsible for the shipping charge associated with sending their finished cast mold of the knee back to DME-Direct for inspection/manufacturing of the brace. Additional cost of expediting delivery of the casting kit is part of our Rush processing explained above. Charges for expedited shipping of finished brace can be seen in the checkout online based on zip code information.
STEP SEVEN: Choose additional brace accessories. Purchase these below from our Donjoy Defiance ACL Brace (Custom) Accessories page seen in the related products section above:
- Sports Cover (11-0016-x-06000) - Fits all braces made to a standard length.
- Short Sports Cover (11-0103-x-06000) - Fits all short custom-made braces - choose if you're 5"3" or shorter.
- Cotton/Lycra Undersleeve (11-0075-x-00000) - Full length, light and breathable. Proper size is automatically generated from your cast mold.
- Neoprene Undersleeve (11-0122-x-00000) - Full length, warmer for colder climates. Proper size is automatically generated from your cast mold.
- TruPull Advanced Attachment (11-1525-x) - Rubber patella stabilizing attachment for patello-femoral conditions. Proper size automatically generated from your cast mold of the. Not available on Donjoy Defiance III knee braces manufactured with either style of FourcePoint hinge.
- Impact Guard - Protects the patella and the front of the shin from direct impact (motocross application). Not available on braces manufactured with either style of FourcePoint hinge.
- Calf Pinch Guard - prevents the bottom of the brace from running into the top of a ski or motocross boot. Provides a sloping smooth transition up to the bottom of the boot - recommended when ordering a "short calf" brace length.
STEP EIGHT: Choose these condyle pad choices from the order form pdf to be installed in place of the Suede or Chamois option. The brace liners themselves will remain as either Suede or Chamois. Choose sili-grip, power caps, neoprene suspension kit, and stainless steel gears if needed.
- Air Condyle Condyle Pads - Pre-inflated condyle pads for more comfort against the joint - they're smooth, not tacky like the chamois.
- Floam Condyle Pads - FREE - These condyle pads fit on each side of the knee joint and are ordered in place of the condyle pads that are standard with each brace. They feel like silly puddy with memory foam beads inside. They mold and form around bony knees- better suited for people with real bony knee joints compared to individuals with typical muscle bulk around the inside and outside aspect of the knee.
- SiliGrip Pads - FREE - These condyle pads fit on each side of the knee joint and are ordered in place of the condyle pads that are standard with each brace. They are tacky and are preferred by elderly individuals who have significant muscle atrophy and brace slippage issues that need to be addressed.
- Power Caps - FREE - These are metal posts that hold the D rings in place better so the straps will not tear way from the brace - recommended for football use.
- Legend Strap-ins - FREE - A square cut strap end instead of a tapered strap end. Does not allow the strap to come undone - recommended for football use.
- Neoprene Suspension Kit - Two neoprene straps that are used to wrap around the thigh and calf portion of the brace circumferentially to help maintain the brace in the proper position - about 3 inches wide.
- High Strength Stainless Steel Gears (recommended for contact sports). These are stronger gears inside the hinge "box" that can be ordered with the Standard Low Profile and the Standard Slide Shield hinge ONLY. The gears inside both FourcePoint hinges are already made with the same high strength stainless steel gears as part of that hinge choice design. Otherwise, "standard" metal gears will be assembled inside the hinge box.
Donjoy Knee Guarantee Program:
You can enjoy the benefits of having additional knee protection with your purchase of a Defiance III through DME-Direct. Click here for more details.
Recommended Manufacturer HCPC: L1856